Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Arkham Asylum Harley Quinn Gun

So last summer I got to play the BEST batman video game ever made.   I'm of course talking about batman Arkham Asylum.  That game made you feel like batman.  My wife who doesn't not care for video games was watching me play one night and I did a really cool move in the game and she asked me " How did you do that?" without wasting a second I replied " I'm batman."  in my best christian bale growl voice.  Of course she laughed at me and replied   " No, not batman a dork who is playing batman."  Which is pretty much dead on but, oh well I had fun.

So after being engrossed in this game I went scrolling through the Internet looking for design pictures of all the characters and was actually thinking of cosplaying as Bane cause he was pretty cool in this game and I wanted a challenge.  It never worked out because I went ahead and did a Subject Delta cosplay which I will show pictures of here later.  Anyways I was Anime Boston this year and saw the best looking Harley Quinn from the video game I had ever seen.  She was dead on and had a perfect costume.  The only thing I thought she had missing which, in reality she didn't because Harley never had a gun in the video game but she did in this concept art, was her gun.  here's a picture.




So I knew this cosplayer would be at Connecticon, a anime convention in Connecticut so on a whim I went ahead and made the gun so I could get a picture of her with it and then she could have it afterwards.  SO of course being the procrastinator that I am I waited until about 5 days before the convention and then got started. 

I used 1/2 inch MDF board for the handle and base of the gun.  I used 1/4 inch MDF for the grips and I used 2 inch PVC pipe for the barrel.  I also used some hot glue and some craft foam for the rest of it.  It was a pretty quick process and went like this. 




Pretty simple I crosshatched the grip with a saw because it's pretty darn easy and just adds that little extra to a simple prop like this.  Now I really wanted to go ahead and put the groves in the cylinder of the gun like in the concept drawing but again I ran out of time.  So I just went ahead and  did the shapes out of comic book boards and painted them a lighter shade of the gun.  SO basically the next step I did was give it a coat of primer and then I sanded down any rough edges I didn't see or feel before.  It was at that point I found I wasn't too happy with the top of the gun it looked real rough.  So I went ahead and put some bondo on it to smooth out the top and make it rounder.  So of course some more sanding and then another coat of primer and some more sanding after that with another coat of primer on that section and I was happy enough to go with the final paint job.  Sorry no pics of this stage I was too lazy to bring the camera down to the dungeon to take pics.

SO I went ahead and used a dark metallic grey spray paint for the gun.  It was dark just like the concept pics and it had that nice little metallic shine to it.  For the lighter parts i used a brushed aluminum colored spray paint.  So with 2 coats of paint for each color I was ready to put the acrylic sealant on it.  4 coats of that and I was happy with the gun.  I actually put the also coat of sealant on it the night before the convention so I don't have any pics of it until we were in the hotel room at the convention so here they are.







Not my best work but it was fun and it only took a Little of my time.  I really have to start planning my time  little better so I have enough time to fix the parts of the process that I think is going to work and then does not in any way, shape, or form and then I have to figure out how to make it work and fix my mistakes.


So after trudging around the convention Saturday night in my Subject Delta costume I spotted the Harley Quinn cosplayer. I was lucky enough to get back to my room and get the gun so I could take a picture of it with her.  She was very gracious enough to take a couple pictures with the prop.  It's a weird request but it is a convention and weird requests are usually part of the norm.  So here is a pic of the best Batman Arkum Asylum cosplayer out there and my so-so prop.




So as you can see she is a dead on Harley Quinn, and I thank her for posing with my prop and she deserves all the praise out there for her cosplay.  She nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment