Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gurren Lagann Yoko Sniper Rifle

So I have always wanted to make this sniper rifle.  Something about making large impossible props is certainly cool.  For those of you that don't know about this gun and the person who wields it, here is a reference picture.

Pay attention to the gun people not the girl.  Now this prop has been made by countless people out there and there are some amazing props out on the web.  My goal was to make it close to a prop maker called Blind Squirrel Props as I could on a limited time frame.  SO I went ahead and made this gun out of PVC and MDF board with various screws dowels and a little craft foam for certain parts.  I didn't take too many in progress pics because I was recharging the battery in my camera and every time I was down in the dungeon making noise and sawdust I had left the camera upstairs.  but here are some pics I took last night. 








Don't mind the failed fusion sword project behind the barrel of the gun.  Nothing to look at people.


I have the scope pretty much done as well.  I have some coats of Gesso on it right now to help smooth out the slanted parts.  I have the clamps all made to lock it in to place and have the plans done for the bi pod which will open and close.  So that is my goal today finish it up and get it ready for painting.  Oh yeah i have to shape the muzzle for the gun as well.  Hopefully I'll have pictures of it primed tonight.  Also I have the side mount clips and the pink strap for it as well.

Oh yeah was also asked If I could make her bracelets as well.  So I looked around for some cheap bangles and didn't like anything I found so I went ahead and made them out of 1/2 MDF board I took 2 pieces for each bracelet and glued them together.  I then went ahead and sanded them and measured out where to put the outside 1/2 ball things.  I then went ahead and drilled a recess for each 1/2 ball to fit into and fashioned the balls out of sanded dowels.  Here are some pics of the painted bracelets and the 1/2 balls.  The are gluing in place right now and will have a finished project later today.




Finished Bracelet/Bangle


So the scope is made out of a 1 inch wood dowel and then 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch, and 2 inch PVC pipe.  I then used craft foam and then gesso to smooth out the edges.  I also cut the knobs out of  a 1 1/4 inch wood dowel and then bought some plastic spacers to hide the screw when I attached them to the scope.  The ends are covered with 1/.4 MDF board and sanded down.  The view finder and the distance finder will be attached to the front of the scope after I have painted it.  here it is with the 3rd coat of gesso on it.  I do believe this will be the last coat of gesso and the final sanding will be done once it's dry.  Then primer and finish painting.  woo-hoo!


Here is the gun  disassembled and with the 3rd coat of primer on it.  I have to say I have graduated to 440 grit sand paper between coats and you get a fantastically smooth finish with the pain on that.  This should be the last coat of primer and then it's the final coats of black, yellow and pink.  I made the side mount clips from .80 styrene and some 1/2 moon clips I had laying around.  I pre drilled the holes in the styrene so I could attach it to the PVC tube of the gun.  I used a heat gun to mold the styrene so it would work be flush with the gun.


So The bi pod attaches to the bottom of the barrel with a 1/4 inch diameter 3/4 inch Long nut and bolt.  So to have the barrel fit into the gun I had to build up the end of it which I did.  I purposely left the end unpainted so it would be easier to line it up with the main part of the gun for insertion.  It's a really snug fit


Ta-Da!  All done  I think it turned out pretty damn cool.  It comes apart in 2 pieces the scope will detach as well.  I hope the customer will be happy.


Yes the bi pod works as well.

1 comment:

  1. how much is a commission for both the sniper rifle and the bracelets and what is the total height of the sniper riffle?

    ReplyDelete