Saturday, July 27, 2013

Marceline's Axe Guitar - Adventure Time


So I was asked to make Marceline's axe guitar from Adventure Time.  I went ahead and made it so you could play it, I'm pretty sure if I let my brother play it (he being a guitarist) he would have dope slapped me because I'm sure it did not sound great but sound did come out of it when you strummed the strings so I was happy.  Here is a reference picture of Marceline's Axe.




So I had to figure out the length of the neck.  34-36 inches seems to be the norm so I went with 36 because the neck of the guitar looks pretty long in most of the reference picture I found.  So I made the neck out of pine (yes I know pine is not a good choice for guitar necks.)  I had 1 48 inch long piece and one 36 inch long piece it went from 3.5 inches width at the base to 4 inches at the neck.  So I did insert a metal rod into the neck piece.  Basically I routed out a path to put the metal rod in and when I glued it together all was well.  I glued the shorter with 2 inches into the longer one and then it ended 10 inches before the top.  Sorry I don't have pictures of this.  So after it dried I cut out the coffin looking part of the neck where the hardware to tighten the strings is going to go.   I then useds some 1/8 thin hardwood strip for where the frets go.  I then found out a scale marker for a bass guitar and made the lines where the frets are going to go on the neck.  I went ahead and used a file to file the slots that the  frets will go.

Next the body of the guitar.  I made the curves of the axe were the neck and the back piec go out of 1/2 inch thick mdf board.  I cut 4 pieces total and glued 2 pieces together to give me 1 inch thickness.


Sorry I did not take many pictures of the progress of this.  

I went on to cut out 2 pieces of 1/8 inch hardwood plywood with a plastic coating  on one side to make the face of the guitar.  So I glued the back side together with the spacers at the edge.  Once it was dried I  started on the face of the guitar but I went ahead and drilled 2 holes for the knobs and marked where the back piece where the strings go.  After that some gorilla glue  and some clamps and it was one piece.  Last part was the neck of the guitar which I had to do some sanding to make the piece of the neck that as going to attach to the guitar a little bit round so it would make a tight fit.   I glued that and then I drilled a hole in the neck and used a screw to fasten it to the body.  
This picture is with it primered.








So now it was some final sanding and little cosmetic things I wanted to fix and it was final paint and attach hardware to it.








So was the first version I made.  I went ahead and made a fully electric one that my brother tried tuning for me and when he was done he told me not to quit my day job.  I'm currently in the process of finishing up a third version of the guitar that is similar to this one.  When I'm done I'll post pics of it.

1 comment: